Please see below for a summary of our Funding Strategy. To download the full version please click here.
Our endowment of £47 million is National Lottery Funding, granted to us by our Founder, the Big Lottery Fund. As a funding body distributing public money, Spirit has a responsibility to invest it strategically to bring the greatest benefit, and to be open and transparent about our funding. The Spirit of 2012 Funding Strategy explains fully what we will fund, who can apply for funding, how we make and manage grants and what we expect from grant recipients. We also publish our audited Report and Financial Statements every year, giving full details of all our income and expenditure, activities and future plans.
Spirit of 2012 Impact Statement
“Spirit believes that enabling people to participate in a wide range of activities and engaging in their communities will:
Improve the wellbeing of individuals, communities and society as a whole
Improve perceptions towards disability and impairment; and
Lead to greater social cohesion and understanding.”
How to apply to us
When Spirit funding opportunities are live, we will post all the information you need to apply to us on our website. This will include a checklist of what you need to apply. Spirit will not fund applications which do not meet our criteria, or applications sent to us outside the opportunities we advertise.
How we make our decisions
Spirit has 10 Funding Principles that are driven by our values to be Fair, Frank, Focused, Forthright and Friendly. These inform all our funding decisions.
- Spirit will invest only in the charitable objects in our Trust Deed
- Spirit is a UK-wide body, funding all nations and regions of the UK
- Spirit aspires to help create and support sustainable change.
- Spirit aims to be a supportive funder.
- Spirit aspires to be an intelligent funder.
- Spirit may sometimes request proposals from individual organisations.
- Spirit will partner with young and/or innovative organisations.
- There will be at least one open Spirit Challenge Fund opportunity each year.
- Spirit will seek out, record and help to spread best practice.
- Spirit will be open and transparent about our funding decisions.